The Word of His Power
First we will look at five descriptions of ‘what is a Rhema Word’ in the Bible and then look at 5 steps to move that word out of the pages of the Word into your life and reality.
Hebrews 11:3 “Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.” The Greek word for ‘framed’ means ‘set in order’. The Word here is not Logos, but rhema, an utterance made by God. John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” In all three instances here “Word” is the Greek logos, log'-os. The Word as thought and truth, the Word made flesh, personalized to you is Rhema, while the words on the pages of your Bible is Logos. Anyone can read the Bible and gain knowledge and for most, that is all they have. Ephesians 1:17 “That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:” This speaks of our getting a revelation of the knowledge of Him. He does that by calling the Word of God spoken, the truth spoken on the pages of the Bible as Logos, to become Rhema, the breath of God on what He has said to us. It is the Word of God released into our lives. God had an idea about creating the World, but then one day, Genesis 1 tells us, And God said, and when He said it, millions of stars were thrown into place, exactly where He told them to go and stand. He created all the stars and solar systems, He placed a sun and moon and a planet called earth and tipped it on its axis just right. And he caused life to come into being. He set it all in motion when the word went out of his mouth. Isaiah 55:10-11 “For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” His Word is creative and becomes reality.
1) A Rhema Word is a Creative Word. So when God speaks and releases His promise out of you, just as sure as when He spoke and creation came out of his lips, God is about to create something in you, through you and out of you. The Rhema Word is the Word of God, coming off the pages of scripture and releasing in you creative energy, the power of God acting in you and through you. Oh, the power of one revelation of God, one truth of God released into your spirit. It is worth more than much study in the flesh. You go to Bible school and receive head knowledge, but not a Rhema Word from God. That is a word that comes by revelation of the Holy Spirit, a life giving word.
2) A Rhema Word is also a Saving Word. Romans 10:8 “But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;” It is first put in your mouth before it is in your heart. This is a Rhema word that is in your mouth. Romans 10:13 “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” If you got saved, someone told you that if you would call on the name of the Lord, you would be saved and you believe it and you spoke it with your mouth and were saved. You spoke that you believed in Jesus and what He accomplished for you at
Calvary, and when it came out of your mouth, spoken in faith, brought about your salvation. You cannot be saved unless the Logos becomes Rhema in your mouth and you speak it and the work is done. Romans 10:9-10 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” It began with a spoken Word, a Rhema Word that you put into your mouth.
3) A Rhema Word is A Sustaining or Strengthening Word. Matthew 4:4 “But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” ‘Word’, Rhema, not Logos. It is when you give forth the Word that you are fed. There are enough churches stuffed with enough Bible knowledge to change the world, if it worked that way. Books, tapes, seminary, people saying, feed me, feed me, ever learning but never coming to the knowledge of the truth, getting more and more knowledge, but it is all Logos and not Rhema to them. The Word becomes life, it becomes Rhema and you are fed when the Word goes forth out of your mouth. It becomes spiritual bread when you speak it. So if you want to become stronger in your faith, then start speaking forth the Word of God. Remember when Jesus was talking to the woman at the well. He said I have meat to eat you know not of. That lady didn’t just bring him a picnic lunch. He was speaking the Word of God; it was going forth out of His mouth. He fed His spirit by speaking and confessing the Word with His mouth.
4) The Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God and it is a rhema word. Ephesians 6:17 “And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:” That “Word” is Rhema, not Logos. Bible knowledge that you can hit the devil over the head with is not a sword. It must be a living word, a word that is alive within you because of a living relationship with the risen Christ.
How does that Word on the pages of scripture become a spiritual sword? When you do with it what Jesus did with it, when he looked at the devil and said, “It is written”. When you speak out the scripture in faith, believing and knowing that it is God’s Word and promise to you, it becomes a living Word. Many live defeated lives because everything else is coming out of their mouths except the Word of God. Every negative thing they see, every false thing they can quote, every secular thing they have memorized, but they have not hid the Word of God in their heart. They have not learned that “Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof” (Proverbs18:21). You must begin to speak forth the scripture. The Word of God is to be a weapon in your life.
5) A rhema word is a word of provision. Luke 5:4-5 “Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught. And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.” They have been fishing all night, the pros, the guys who know what they are doing. And they caught nothing. Hey, we are the fisherman and you’re the rabbi, but nevertheless, at your word, Rhema, the Word has gone forth out of His mouth and it is a creative Word, and so Peter said, we will let down out nets. He knew that when the Rhema Word was spoken, let down your nets, it is time to go fishing. The Word of God first rests in you, then when you mix it with faith and speak it out of your mouth, it will never return void. It will do what God says it will do.
So how do you get a Rhema Word and walk with it and allow it to change your life. God set forth the principle of faith. Isaiah 55:11 “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” God is saying, “I know when I speak it, it will come to pass”. It will happen and become reality. He said He could call into the visible realm something invisible; He can call something into being out of nothing. It is a principle of God. Now, there are 3000 promises in the bible. If you can just get one to work for you, it will change your life. There is no magic quick fix, but there is a process that will help you and bring about a change in your life.
1) If you are going to get a Rhema Word you must read the Bible regularly. Joshua 1:8 “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.” Meditate upon the Word daily. Most wait until their live is falling apart to turn to the Bible and then they try to just open it up and hope that they will find a verse that will encourage them and speak to them. If you are in the scriptures, you won’t have to be taught, it won’t be the same verse every time, but a verse will come off the pages of scripture that will speak to your circumstances or the scriptures that you have hidden in your heart, will speak to you. Isaiah 30:21 “And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.”
2) Learn to Rest in the Revelation. You have to rest in the Word that God gives you. God told Joshua to meditate in the Word. We have a misunderstanding of that word, we think it means to cogitate, or just consider. Our idea of meditation leads to going to sleep. The Hebrew means to mutter the scripture, to move and mutter. Have you ever seen the Jews at the Wailing Wall, rocking back and forth while repeating, quoting the scriptures. You are speaking to yourself and allowing yourself to hear those words so that they will produce faith within you. And while speaking of meditation and resting in the Word of God, we can’t forget Isaiah 28:11-12. “For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.” True meditation, includes speaking in tongues, resulting in spiritual rest for your soul. Rest in the Word that God releases in you. Speak it, meditate upon it and allow it to work in you. Meditating is to speak it over and over and allow faith to be mixed with it.
3) Release The Word by Confession. Again look at Joshua 1:8 It shall not depart from your mouth, not your heart or mind. Yes the scripture says, “thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee” (Psalm 119:11). That is for spiritual defense. But what about spiritual offense? God told Joshua, Moses is dead. I know that God used him to part the red sea, that manna fell from heaven, that quail flew in, I know the water came out of the rock, but God spoke to Joshua, “As I was with Moses, so I will be with you” (Joshua 1:5). Then God told him, don’t go anywhere unless my word is in your mouth. Speak my word. This word is not to depart from your mouth, you are to speak it. How many times did you see a promise of God you desired, you spoke it once, but you didn’t rest in it, you didn’t mutter it to yourself and you didn’t confess it? You never came to faith in it. Faith is speaking the Word of God that isn’t so in your life, until it becomes so and releasing it by faith. Mark 11:22-24 says speak to the mountain in your life. “Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.”
Once when the devil tempted Martin Luther, he was sitting at his writing desk and he said, “Get thee hence Satan” and then hurled his inkwell at the devil. Guess what, the devil left. You can’t just think the devil away, you must speak the word. You won’t get the word to become life and reality in your situation because you think it or meditate upon it as we think of meditation, as a quiet silent thought process. You have to speak the Word of God, the word of faith over your home, over your job, over your children. Speak what you want God to do and not what you have. There is power in the confessed Word of God.
4) Mix Faith and Action with Your Word. Confess it and call it done. Operate as if it has happened. Live as if it is already here. Act as if you believe God will do it. If God still chooses not to do it, He is God. But we need to be like Job when he said, “Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.” But as Job kept his integrity and his faith in God, eventually he overcame and was rewarded.
5) Receive The Promise. If you will do these five things, the day will come when you will walk in what God has promised you. Joshua 1:8 “then you will prosper and have good success.” God has come that you might have life and have it more abundantly. “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning” (James 1:17).
Jesus is the Word of Life.
Jesus is the Word made life.
If you have not received the Word of God into your life, you can, today!
Would you like to share this page with a friend? Click Here