1) “Seeing is believing. I've never seen God, so how do I know He exists?”
No one has ever seen the wind, but there is no doubt o fits power. No one has seen a persons mind, but that doesn't make us mindless. TV and radio waves or invisible bit with the proper receiver we can see the results. Having never seen God is not much a reson to reject His existence. There is a lot that we have to take by faith every day that goes way beyond our imagination.
2) “I may have broken the Ten Commandments, but I do good things for
people. If God is fair, the scales will balance.” This is really common. One look at Hollywood 's morality should dispel this one. They commit adultery in their youth and then get involved in aid research when they get older and think that should balance the scales because their good deeds balance or make up for their bad or sin. Well, it doesn't work that way. Even before a secular judge in a courtroom and he is honest, an effort to bribe the judge with good works is still a bribe. If you compare yourself with other human being you might be better than some but worse than others. But God has to judge us on the basis of His righteous character which we have violated. That is why He gave us the Ten Commandments to show us how good we would have to be to be acceptable to God by our good deeds. This is why God cannot judge on the curve. James 2:10 “ ”
Who can ever measure up to God's standard by that. You might be good all your life and just break one of God's commandments. Then if you just miss it one time, on one point, God said you are guilty. And because God knew that we could never keep His righteous law, He became a man, born of a virgin in the person of Jesus Christ to pay the price for our sin, taking our place and purchasing a pardon for our sins. All we have to do is accept His sacrifice on our behalf, repent of our sins and turn to Him for salvation by faith in what He accomplished on our behalf.
3) “Christianity is oppressive to women.” This arises from confusing the context of the Christian model for marriage with other roles for women. Ephesians 5:22 “ Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. ” This doesn't go well with women's lib. But the skeptics objections fall flat on their face when the verse is taken in its full context. Ephesians 5:25 “ Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; ”
It is hardly oppression to submit to someone who loves you with sacrificial love. Instead it is the textbook definition of love, a key ingredient to a successful marriage.
4) “The Bible is written by men.” As an objection is by far the silliest. When you write a letter, are you writing it or your pen or your computer? No, they are but the instrument you use to write your letter and not the writer. This is the same principle that applies to the writers of scripture. They were the instrument, but God was the author. Many times the Bible talks about how God did this. 1Peter 1: “Holy men of God were moved…” They were moved to write and borne along as the wind would drives a sailboat. The wind drives it and God guides it. 2 Timothy 3:16 “” The proof is in the pudding. The writers of scripture range from shepherds to kings to fishermen by the 66 books that make up the Bible make up a single narrative with the same author. All fitting perfectly together without contradiction.
God threw down the gauntlet concerning how to know whether His Word is true or know. God said to the first writing prophet in Deuteronomy 18:21-22 “” Ev3wery prophecy made in the Bible about specific places and times must come true to the letter. Many have been fulfilled but some have not yet because it is not yet the time, but the record in history so far is 100% accuracy over thousands of years. This is why we have only the books the books in the bible that have been authenticated by fulfilled prophecy. More than 300 prophecies were fulfilled in the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus the Messiah alone. That gives us just a touch of prophecies that have been fulfilled in history that is a matter of record.
5) “Churches are full of hypocrites.” The word hypocrite comes from a word meaning pretender. Hypocrisy is the practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold. The body of Christ consists of true believers. Churches are merely buildings where people congregate. Sitting in a church no more makes on a Christian than sitting in a garage makes one a car, or swimming makes one a fish. Jesus will sort out the true believers from the pretenders in His time. The question and issue is not which church do you go to, but whom do you trust for your salvation? Your church, your good works or Jesus Christ Himself?
6) “Christians think they are better than non-Christians.” This is another objection borne out by ignorance of both teachings of scripture and the nature of salvation. Nowhere does the scripture say that a Christian or believer is better than a non-Christian. A believer in Jesus is a forgiven sinner. The unbeliever is simply not forgiven. The true Christian knows that he/she is forgiven by the unmerited favor of God and that he/she did not deserve to be forgiven. Peter betrayed Jesus by denying Him three times. Judas betrayed Him only once. Bur Peter is infinitely better off, because he was forgiven and went on to serve the Lord with Him life and lay it down for the gospel and Judas died in his sin, having committed suicide. Peter believed and was forgiven, Judas did not.
Two murderers were crucified along with Jesus, one on each side. They both started out cursing Jesus. But then one repented and expressed his faith in Luke 23:42 , saying, “ Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom .” Jesus immediately replied, “ Truly I say to you, Today you will be with me in Paradise ” ( Luke 23:43 ). By analogy, consider two sky divers. One has a working parachute and the other does not. That doesn't make the one with a working parachute a better sky diver. But it does make him an alive sky diver. The old, “I'm not going to church because there are hypocrites there.” Do you consider that when you go to a football game? Do you say, “I'm not going back to another game because there are a lot of hypocrites there? I'm not going to a movie, because there are hypocrites there. It is simply a fact of human nature, that there are hypocrites in every place. Would you say “I'm not going to visit Congress because there are hypocrites there?” I mean they have the market cornered better than any church would. The fact is the excuse is nothing more than a smoke screen. The real issue is not whether or not you're a hypocrite. Besides, if there are hypocrites in any particular local church, maybe they will hear a message that will convict and change their heart and lead to their salvation.
7) “There is to much suffering in the world for there to be a loving God.” This gets to the heart of a lot of people's problem. The Bible teaches us that God cursed the earth because of man's rebellion and fall into sin. Weeds are a curse and so is sickness and disease. Sin and suffering cannot be separated. I think nature tells us that as well as scripture. The Bible tells us that we live in a fallen creation. Those who understand the message of the Holy Scriptures, eagerly await a new heaven and a new earth wherein dwelleth righteousness. In that coming kingdom, the scripture promises us that there will be no more suffering, sickness, pain or death. Now if it didn't exist here, then it's abolition there would be meaningless. The sacrifice of Christ would simply be unnecessary.
Many say, “How could there be a loving God” in the face of all the bad and evil things they see in the world. Well, if this life is all there was, this life is all we have, then there might be some validity to that. But this life is not all there is. When we consider the real issue of a loving God and consider John 15:13, it changes everything. “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” God stepped out of eternity into time and became a man to take upon Himself the consequences of our sin and rebellion against Him and He purchased for each of us a pardon that He might deliver us from this fallen earth and the suffering that is brought about by that rebellion. So God made the ultimate sacrifice to deliver us from the result of our own sin and rebellion. That is by definition, love. One who lays down their life for anther, who dies that others might live. There is no greater love than that. That is extremely important to remember.
8) “Christianity isn't fair. What about all those people who have never heard the Gospel? Will they all go to Hell because they haven't heard about Jesus Christ?” This is probably one of the most familiar objections. How many times do we hear, “well, what about the heathen in Africa or India .” They don't really care about these people in these other countries, but are only trying to put God on the horns of atheir own man-made dilemma. No one will be lost or miss heaven just because they never heard of Jesus. Romans 1:18-20 “ For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse : ” He shows that nature is a witness of God's existence and the Holy Spirit uses that which is created to make all men aware that there is a creator, to a consciousness of God. It is the choice that they make at that point that counts. Also, God made a very important and to the point promise in Jeremiah 29:13 . “”
You see, God bring everyone to awareness of His existence, to a God consciousness through the things He has created. When a person anywhere in any culture from any religious background, comes to God consciousness and decides that He wants to know the true and living God, the God behind creation, then God will move heaven and earth to make sure they receive and hear the true gospel and come to the knowledge of the truth about Himself. Because it is His desire and purpose for which He made man, that He might have fellowship with man. Any person who dies without a knowledge of God or without hearing about Jesus and His sacrifice, it is because he/she just did not want to know the true God and did not seek Him or know the truth about Him. God knows every mans heart and if we want to know Him or not. God will reveal Himself to anyone who desires to know Him. So, this makes them without excuse.
9) “I've tried to read the Bible. I can't understand it.” Scripture tells us that the natural man cannot understand that which is spiritual. Most Americans would find it kind of difficult to read the Chinese language without study. However, a child who is born within and grows up within a Chinese family will understand the language clearly without trouble. Scripture tell us that every person is born physically alive but spiritually dead. God is spirit and to understand that things of His Spirit, we must receive His Spirit and have His life in us. That is why Jesus spoke what HE did no Nicodemus in John 3:3 “ Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God . ” Simply, if you are not born from above, you cannot perceive the things of God. When an uneducated person is believes in Jesus is born spiritually, he can immediately begin to understand the Bible. It has nothing to do with your intelligence in the natural or how educated you are. If you can read the scripture, you will begin to understand it. That ability to understand the scripture starts slowly but grows as you grow in grace and knowledge of Him, point by point. It makes all the difference in the world.
10) “Christians are sinners, according to their own teaching. So what is the difference between a Christian who sins and a non-believer?” This objection misses the whole point. A Christian receives a new nature and the Spirit of God comes to dwell in Him at the moment He is born again and receive the new birth. However, he/she still has the same old nature within that wants to sin. It is the resulting waging war without us, between our new spirit and our old fleshly nature that we become aware of that is a proof that we have a spiritual battle going on inside because we have been born of His Spirit. This continues until death. When the Christian fails to say no to temptation and fails to lean upon the strength that God offers so that we can resist temptation, he/she sins.
The difference however, is that a true Christian cannot be happy anymore living in sin, or even for a moment, for when we sin our conscience convicts us. But after awhile, the more we sin, the more uncomfortable and miserable we become if we do not repent and return to fellowship with God. The believer who had sinned, but repents of his/her sin, is then forgiven by God and again in fellowship. Those who say they are Christians and continually, habitually walk in sin and have no conviction in their hearts that draws them to repentance, have either never been saved or gone too far and crossed the line and their hearts have been seared with a hot iron and they are no longer sensitive to the Spirit of God, but like the prodigal son in the pig pen.
A Christian can commit small sins and just be condemned and convicted, but he/she cannot continually walk in sin, adding sin to sin forever and still be under the grace of God and covering of the blood. There comes a time and place and that is up to God, where He will tell the unrepentant believer, okay, its time to choose which whom you will serve. Will you repent or continue in your rebellion and sin. If the believer then rejects that plea and drawing of the spirit, He will leave you alone, for God's spirit will and does not always strive will one who is rebellious. Eternal security in Christ only comes from continuing in obedience and fellowship with God. To those who would say, you may loose your fellowship but not your relationship, I would say that does not even make sense. If there is no fellowship, after awhile there will be no relationship, either in the natural or in the spirit. One is a shadow of the other. The father said that the prodigal, when he willingly walked away from His house and protection, walked away from life and was “dead” and only returned to “life” when he returned to his father's house in repentance. You were a free moral agent before coming to Christ and you remain a free moral agent afterward. You can try Christ and choose to leave Christ, as some of those who receive the seed of the Word and do not continue on with Christ and bear fruit unto eternal life. That is shown in the parable of the sower and the seed. Jesus told us the parables are to tell us how the kingdom of God works. We have to overlook to much scripture and then interpret others out of context of the whole to come up with unconditional eternal security.
The Ten Reasons for not being a Christian are really ten reasons why you should turn to Jesus if you have not already, even now. You will never become perfect in this life, but you will have forgiveness and peace and hope of eternal life. It makes all the difference in the world. Don't look at the hypocrites and pretenders and use them as an excuse not to turn to Christ by faith. There are hypocrites everywhere on earth, but there are NONE in heaven. All hypocrites and Pharisees end up in hell with the other rebellious and unrepentant ones.